With strong expertise in chronic diseases, including obesity, Novo Nordisk supports the vision of National Obesity Care Week, an annual national initiative to inspire a coalition effort to achieve a comprehensive, compassionate, and patient-centric approach to obesity care. Through this initiative, as well as efforts around research and product development, Novo Nordisk aims to inspire a new, science-based approach to weight management and support individuals struggling with obesity to achieve better health.
Obesity is recognized as a chronic disease by leading medical organizations, including the American Medical Association, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, American Academy of Family Physicians, and The Obesity Society.1-4 Despite this, many people with obesity still lack the support they need to manage their weight.5 Health care professionals can play a critical role in this effort by partnering with their patients to develop comprehensive and individualized approaches to weight loss and weight management.6,7 Clear and effective physician-initiated conversations can help increase patient comfort levels and encourage patients to use the full range of resources available.8
- American Medical Association House of Delegates. Recognition of obesity as a disease. Resolution 420 (A-13). http://www.npr.org/documents/2013/jun/ama-resolution-obesity.pdf. Received May 15, 2013. Accessed December 8, 2015.
- Mechanick JI, Garber AJ, Handelsman Y, Garvey WT. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists' Position Statement on Obesity and Obesity Medicine. Endocrine Practice. 2012;18:642-648.
- McKinney L. Diagnosis and Management of Obesity. American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). http://www.aafp.org/dam/AAFP/documents/patient_care/fitness/obesity-diagnosis-management.pdf. Published 2013. Accessed August 5, 2015.
- Allison DB, Downey M, Atkinson RL, et al. Obesity as a disease: a white paper on evidence and arguments commissioned by the Council of the Obesity Society. Obesity. 2008;16(6):1161-1177.
- Puhl RM, Huer CA. Obesity stigma: important considerations for public health. Am J Pub Health. 2010;100(6)1019-1028.
- Jensen MD, Ryan DH, Apovian CM, et al. American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines; Obesity Society. 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63(25ptB):2985-3023.
- Obesity Education Initiative; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; US Department of Health and Human Services; Identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: The practical guide. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health; 2000. NIH publication 00-4084.
- Loureiro ML, Nayga RM Jr. Obesity, weight loss, and physician’s advice. Soc Sci Med. 2006;62(10):2458-2468.
© 2016 Novo Nordisk All rights reserved. USA15SAM01282 April 2016